Monday, May 31, 2010

"The Call" our first International Youth Rally

The day started way too early for my liking (6 am) and with a bit of confusion, but all in all it turned out to be a fun day. The theme of the day was hearing when God calls. I led a workshop called "Death by Apple Pie" A John Piper rip off I know. I think it was in his book Hungering for God, where he talked about the fact that for many of us it is the constant inane drivel of information and mind cluttering noise, and poor management of our time that stands in our way of an intimate walk with God. It isn't so much clearly marked sin (poison) but things that in and of themselves are not bad or wrong (apple pie) yet when improperly managed can take over and can become sin in our life. I used the passage from Heb. 12 talking about laying aside every weight or hindrance AND the sins which so easily entangle us. I was distinguishing between weights which hinder and sins which entangle.
The kids were very receptive, one gal came up afterward and was telling me how true what I said was...it was really informative etc...So I said "Well thanks! So what are you going to do about it?" She says "uhhh go home and pray about it." Whatever!!!
The ride home was an eye opener to say the least. I sat at the back of the van with 4 middle schoolers in the backseat behind me. One in particular was just as loud and obnoxious as a middle school boy can be (and to the mother who reads my blog, relax it wasn't your son.) This kid seemed to have NO reservation in talking serious trash in front of me. I was a bit perplexed even caught off guard when I fist heard him say a few things. "Surely he did not just say that," I thought to myself. I pride myself in my ability to get along with the teens and fit in without seeming motherly, but this kid spoke with such reckless abandon, I thought maybe I needed to emphasize that if you are so inclined to speak this way, at least clue in not to do it in front of an adult and seriously not in front of your youth pastor! I mean once upon a time kids whispered when I walked in on a foul conversation, at least they attempted to hide their pubescent banter but not this kid! I tried to casually inform him that in general none of us were particularly impressed with his vast sexual knowledge but when general shaming didn't work I just resorted to "Dude shut up!" A very long 2 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment