Monday, November 28, 2011


 So after 9 wild days downtown of anger and rioting (picture above taken by a friends daughter near AUC as she tried to get to her apartment to feed her cat.) election day arrived. People, mostly my Egyptian friends, were quite nervous. Of course most of my friends are Christian and that adds to their insecurity. I tended to swing quite a bit between my instinctive way of thinking, which is optimistic "Nothing is going to happen," to a somewhat uncertain conditioned way of thinking. After being in a bombing, and experiencing a revolution close up its not as easy to be light- hearted and optimistic as I once was.  All that said day one of election was very exciting and seemingly peaceful from all that I observed.The picture to the left is right outside my office. Women only lined up early and spent on average 5 hours to get to the front of the line to vote which is only one block up. They had tons of voting centers, which was a good thing cause 4 million voters in Cairo voting just today I heard. There was an exciting hum through out Maadi where I live. On a negative note the traffic was horrific! I mean traffic in general is bad but this was beyond bad! Today is a second day of voting in Cairo, and other parts of the country will vote on other days for the next few weeks. Continue to pray for peace and for a peace with how things turn out. Just because they are voting freely doesn't mean we are going to like the outcome and that is a tough pill to swallow for most of us. I lean heavily on the words of Scripture that reminds me that not one leader rises to power outside of God's will, He places each one to accomplish his plans, but I don't always like how His plans initially feel. Most stay focused on the big redemptive picture and not get caught up in the micro Amy perspective.
On a lighter side: Thanksgiving and Christmas Bazaar took place last week and both were wonderful successes! Spent T-Giving with about 25 friends enjoyed great food but even better the company. I like that I don't have to fight anyone for the gizzard and heart which is my favorite part of T-Giving turkey! I can do without the meat just gimme the giblets and I am happy. Caleb was Bonnie's helper. He set the kids table by himself and helped Skip scrub potatoes as well. Saturday was the bazaar. Caleb enjoyed spending all his allotted money, sitting on Santa's lap and he even got to throw wet sponges at Mommy...as did about 20 other kids. I sold sloppy joes for 4 hours straight and raised a good bit of money for our Christmas box project.

No comments:

Post a Comment