Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A quick check in to say "Hi!" I am going into work late today as I attempted to sleep in but to no avail. I find myself in a bit of a tired rut having difficulty getting a good nights sleep on a regular basis. Monday is a very long day as I teach my bible study in the morning and again at night, but it usually follows on the heel of a late Sunday night (or more often an early Monday morning) as I try and finish up my lesson. I need to find a new rhythm besides the last minute panic that I am accustomed to.

I am doing another retreat this weekend for Third Culture Kids (TCK's) which is basically what all the expat kids are here but this retreat isn't primarily for my church group but rather for MK's from around the Middle East, kids whose parent's do ministry in a somewhat secretive fashion. We get them together every few years and try and create an environment where they can talk openly about their upbringing and some of the stresses and strains. The last time I did it, 7 years ago, we had an interesting mix some kids very expatty, as in American but living in another culture and others had really assimilated into the culture in which they were being raised. It makes for interesting discussion! Kids are coming from Sudan, Jordan and Yemen and a lot of them have observed this "Arab Spring" from a unique perspective. I am not the main in charge person so that helps, Caleb will go along and hopefully we will have some fun time together as well. It is the big Eid weekend which is the 40 days past Ramadan when the do the animal slaughter...won't be missing that sight!

Fall is really in the air and that is exciting, we had a definite temp change and that puts everyone in a festive mood! November will be busy as I have our big Christmas Bazaar event where we sell sloppy joes and this year gumbo as well, Thanksgiving and a wedding of a dear friend and old youth group kid. I am also in charge of a big fundraiser called "Takin it to the Streets" where we make 700 Christmas boxes for the students of the 2 African Refugee Schools we support as a church. SO if any of ya'll have interest in participating let me know :) Each box has practical stuff like school supplies, hygienic things, a toy, candy we will do a big party in Dec. and Santa will hand out the boxes.

Caleb is doing well and happy and growing! We pulled out his winter wardrobe and everything JUST fits but he can't grow a centimeter! he is such a long leggy kid! He really does look like a Widener in that sense, actually I always think he has more Widener traits than I, with his dark color, curly dark hair he and my brother Jeff's kids could easily be related. He is working on learning to ride his bike and hoping for a gameboy or some type of hand held game device for Christmas. If anyone has recommendations on which type I am open to hear as I know NOTHING about such things.

OK off to work and a new day

1 comment:

  1. I hope you have a good weekend with the third culture kids. I am so glad there are these kind of retreats for TCKs (and MKs), it's very important for the kids.

    You might be interested in my blog. I was a TCK and write about kids growing up in other cultures.

    ReplyDelete