Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Attempting Consistency

I have really enjoyed these last 2 weeks after the rush of Easter my life drastically slowed down. I love getting to move at my own pace for the most part in the mornings, drink my coffee on the porch, get Caleb ready and off to school before I start getting myself ready, moving at my own pace (slow) just puts a completely different spin on the day. So here's to another slow one!

I do have to teach tonight at High School youth and admittedly I don't really have a topic at this point. This entire last semester (since the revolution) has been a bit off center. We stopped mid theme what we were teaching because it just didn't seem right to carry on as usual when life wasn't really usual, at the same time we settled into a bit of a new routine, but never really found the pulse of where we were all at emotionally and spiritually. I for one have learned some interesting things about the group in light of all this, not good/bad but eye opening. Definitely we are a group built upon friendships, hence when your friend goes you go. We learned never to advertise ahead of time a prayer event. A few other insights that certainly spark points of prayer and areas that truly need to be developed. I have great hope though that God has/is doing things in our church and youth group that will have long haul ramifications. In leadership we are praying that things won't go back to normal but rather that God would work something new in us. I just don't feel like I can put my finger on specifics, and I suspect that this year will be one we all will understand more clearly in hindsight and I look forward to that clarity and am OK with the lack of for the time being.
I am restarting a book I know I need to finish called "Mere Discipleship." I have started and stopped it about 3x. It is another one of those books that is uncomfortable to read, similar to David Platt's book "Radical." These books demand change in one's life and outlook a much more intentional style of living. I am also reading "Sacred Parenting" and admittedly I am overwhelmed with how much I am supposed to be thinking about everything I do. I tend to be by nature a bit carefree, "Lets just love each other and have fun!" On the other hand I was encouraged by a quote of Soren Kierkegaard about being "stupidly serious" which he defined as trying so hard to get things right we lose all sense of joy and simplicity. Somewhere in there is a balance that I am trying to find! So thankful that I am participating with God in the task of raising my child verses being the one who is solely responsible, I am confidant that He will bring to pass goodness and mercy in Caleb's life and I couldn't screw up what He intends to do even if I tried. So I relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment